BirthdayGifts

Birthday Gift Ideas for Artistic Boyfriend

My boyfriend is turning 17 in a month. We have been dating for 8 months, but have been close friends for a long time. He is an artist and uses many different mediums. He is also a poet. He is a bit of an introvert. He doesn't read books, watch TV, or listen to CD's, however he has a large collection of music on his computer. I have no idea what to get him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By Maria from Charlotte, NC

How about an iTunes gift card or perhaps some basic art supplies in an artist's portfolio. Does he have one of those drawing pads to use with his computer? You can get a fairly reasonable one at a computer store or online. One brand is Bamboo

If he is an artist, he will appreciate any number of nice materials. Do go to a real artist supply store (not Michaels, but a place where REAL artists buy their stuff). If he works in pastels, you could get him some nice colors of single stick pastels. A new sketchbook for drawing or watercolor. Fancy papers if he works in pastel or watercolor. A set of good quality drawing pencils or drawing pens. If he paints in acrylic, there are any number of interesting products like gel medium, fibre paste, and so on that he could experiment with. Ask at the art supply store. Don't get him a set of acrylic paints or anything like that. Real artists do not buy paints in sets as a general rule. Another great gift, if you can afford it, is a portable folding metal easel. These usually run about $100 but often you can get them on sale for about $60. This may be more than your budget, however.

If you are not at all sure about what he would like, I think you should go with a sketchbook, hardcover, something that looks really professional, and then if you have extra money you want to spend, add one or more drawing pencils or pens. You can get sketchbooks ranging in price from about $12 to $ 50 depending on size and paper type.

I would get his favorite snack, popcorn, Hershey's kisses, M&M's--fill a clear jar and put a gift card inside to Michael's or Hobby Lobby, yes real artists do shop there. I am an artist and I never like to receive art materials from well meaning friends, they just do not know what I like to use. Keep it simple. :)

Get a gift card to the art shop he buys at. Hint: Look at the label on his supplies!

I am also an artist. And I do buy from Michaels. They have artist supplies at the back of the store. They do have craft brushes and also fine art supplies. But the gift certificate is the best idea,as we all have our favorites. GG Vi

An artist will love to know you care about his gift. You could buy a canvas and ask him to create something special for you. A gift certificate sounds lame but as an artist, one always likes to pick their own supplies. Another idea, you make something for him.

Copics