ReusingGreen Living

Alternative Uses for Elastic Hair Bands

Just curious! I'm wanting to know of some other ways to reuse/use elastic hair bands than just using to put your hair into a ponytail. Thanks.

By Krystal from Kenora, Ontario

They are great for keeping cords together! Use them for keeping the gift wrap that is on the tubes from fraying.
You can thread it inside itself and put something onto a belt, key ring, or lanyard. Put them around a deck of cards that no longer have the box. Essentially, they are like a nice round rubber band, so this will give you a start!!

I have some lighter weight stretchy ones that I slip over the DVD cases, keep my billfold from opening, check book the same. I keep a couple slipped onto my steering handle in the car for those days you wish you had one--they are there. Many times stopping at the Dairy Queen and the girls' hair should have had one to eat ice cream, they are in the car.

Marking whose glass belongs to whom.

I use them on a curtain when the window is open & it's breezy, it keeps the curtain from flapping. No more stuff getting knocked off the table/dresser by the curtain & possibly getting broken.

I use the thin ones to add length to my vintage necklaces (the old hook and loop type). Slip one end through the loop and tie a knot close to the other end so the hook stays in.

I use them like rubber bands; for anything that would call for a rubber band, I substitute the elastic hair bands. They are stronger, and last longer.

I am a nightmare with hairbands because I leave them everywhere. For this reason I have some handy hiding places in the house where I can always find one. In the kitchen for during cooking and in the bathroom when I am applying moisterizer on my face. Also in the office for when I am writing and hair is annoyingly in my face!

I use them to slip around flat lunchboxes and to close food bags. I also use them to tie the curtain together when airing the room. Also when you have a drawer with rolls of freezer bags and bins bags they're handy to tie around these rolls to keep the rolls tidy.

I use them to keep long sleeves up or I make my tshirt tighter around the bottom by gathering the extra fabric and fastening it with the hair band.