AdviceGardening

Planting a Boston Fern

Has anyone planted a Boston fern, after they have spent the summer on your porch in the ground and had them to come up the next year?

Peggy from Chillicothe, OH

I live in a much warmer climate than yours and I've never gotten any kind of houseplant to winter over. I think your winters are just too harsh.

I googled "Boston Fern" and apparently it's only hardy on zones 9-10. If you're sure it's a Boston fern and not a Christmas fern (they look similar), I'd keep it indoors. If it were a Christmas fern, you could put it out. Those are very hardy.

These were sold at the Kroger store as Boston Ferns at the start of summer, so I have to take their word for it, as to what it is. Thanks for the feedback. I also googled and it looks as if I will try to find a place for it in my house this winter.

I used to live in the mountains of NH (zone 4) and there were a lot of ferns along the front of the house. (Before I moved there). I'm not sure exactly what kind of ferns they were but they did very well. And on the north side of the house. So I know some ferns are hardy. Find out for sure what kind of fern you have and then check if they are OK for your zone. Many plants are not as delicate as we think. It's not uncommon for the temp. to go down to 25*below zero in NH.