Use A Butter Knife To Get Rid Of Hiccups

To get rid of hiccups, pour cold water in glass and put a stainless steel butter knife into the glass. As you drink the water, the hiccups disappear almost instantly!

By Birthaleen from Burbank, CA

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)
Top Comment

This is personal experience. I just put regular white sugar in a small spoon. I put the sugar in my mouth, chew & swallow it. The hiccups are almost always gone. Once in a while it takes 2 spoonfuls.

Top Comment

That's one remedy I have never heard of. But I've tried every other remedy I have heard of. And the ONLY one that works for me every time, and I get hiccups often, is peanut butter. I just take a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter and swallow it. Only once did I have to repeat it. It works immediately. It will even stop one midway.

Top Comment

This is my husband's favorite trick and it has worked for me and many people who have needed to get rid of hiccups. I think it is the angle of your throat while you are drinking that helps stop them.

By (Guest Post)

This is a urban myth. A knife and a glass of water will not cure anyone's hiccups.

I've manage a restaurant and sports bar, and have a 6 year old son. I come across people with hiccups quite frequently and I've proven time and again that it works on the 1st try, every single time.

I thought maybe it was a placebo effect thing, until it worked on my son who is too young to have a placebo experience.

Yep, knife water works 100% of the time for myself and EVERYONE I have ever told to do it when they got the hiccups!!! Its crazy but it seriously works every single time!!! Ive tried other eating utensils and it doesnt work but the butter knife does lol seriously

Same! My husband taught me this trick when we first started dating. Works every time.

Maybe Birthaleen has had personal experience with this remedy....Birthaleen, has this personally worked for you or someone you know?

Almost anything that diverts your attention or requires instense focus will get rid of hiccups. I hold my breath and swallow five times without drinking anything. Whatever works for you is all that matters!

It's actually not a "myth" it does work and this is the only way I am ever able to get rid of my hiccups. Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's a myth.

Anonymous

Works for me, 100%

YES! been doing this since childhood.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesAugust 30, 2007
💘
🍀