How Do I Find Wild Flowers to Plant in My Garden?

I just moved to my own senior's place in March and have a small garden spot. The trouble is, I cannot afford to buy flowers. So how can I find some good wild ones that will transplant well to a small garden bed and to some window boxes?

By Cheryl Doi

In some areas wildflowers are protected so digging them up might actually be illegal. One of the least expensive ways to start would be to grow flowers from seed. You can buy them pretty cheaply and many flowers produce seed that can be saved for next year, making them a one-time purchase. If you ask around with the other residents some might be willing to split the cost of seeds or bedding plants with you, too. I hope you enjoy your garden!

Be advised removal of any wildflower from a wooded area or park can land you in jail. Ask your neighbors/relatives to give you a few plants when they separate theirs.