Turn Off Water When Brushing Teeth

On TV I saw some quick info. The one that impressed me the most was the fact that they said if you leave the water running when you brush your teeth, it wastes three gallons of water. You may not agree with the 3 gallon assessment, but how about if you just turn the water off until you need it?

By Holly from Richardson, TX

I saw the 20/20 earth day show, and it said to shut off water while brushing....and I realized how silly the idea of having the water on while brushing. What would the purpose be? I just hope other people can realize this too.

Hi, I brush my teeth in the shower now. I do it while I'm conditioning my hair (which has to sit for a minute or two anyway). I find that this is especially nice for flossing, which is so messy for me at the sink. At night, I do turn off the water while brushing.

jess

For quite a while I have been turning off the water after I wet my toothbrush and then turn it back on when I need it again. There is no earthly reason to have it running while you're brushing for 2 mins or longer. I'm sure it saves water...and money!

While it will save money to turn the water off while brushing your teeth, it doesn't save water. Remember the hydrological cycle, water doesn't go away, just back into the ground (think river in the case of some cities treatment plants) to be pumped up again. It's time to recognize the fear/paranoia the global warming crowd is pushing on the world. Mars is experiencing global warming and it's further from the sun than the earth and at last check has zero life to produce carbon footprints. If the sun (which according to 20/20 produces more energy in one second than we do in a year) is throwing more heat our way there is little we can do to stop it. Climate change? "Yes!" Caused by man? You've got to be kidding right? Absolutely not!!!

Clean potable water takes time to go through the whole process of going into the ground to be piped through the sewer or septic tank back through the whole process so it can come back out of your faucet. Not to mention all of the chemicals and processes that must be added to get it back to clean. Just letting your faucets run because you don't believe that humans cause global warming is silly to say the least. Why waste water when it's easy to turn off the faucet?

Susan from ThriftyFun

Hey Doc, I think you may be living with blinders on. It doesn't surprise me that those simply silly words were submit by "guest post" so that no one can write you and you don't have to be accountable for your unintelligent remarks.

Doc, how in the world did a speal on global warming get into a post on saving water while brushing teeth?