CatsPets

Moving Cats to a New Home

I am moving from the U.K.. to Florida soon and plan to take my three cats with me. I am terrified of losing them and as they love to go outside. It is very hard to keep them indoors. Any suggestions on how to keep them close and keeping them from getting lost?

Virginia from Scotland

You have to keep them in until they know that "here" is "home". It doesn't take long. But if you let them out right away, they probably won't come back. I know this from being a volunteer in an animal shelter for 10 yrs. Besides having many cats of my own. Good luck on your move.

Editor's Note: Some cats will try to find their way "home" to the place they previously lived. If you are moving in the same neighborhood, you can go over and find them. One of my cats, when I moved here, tried to go home. He was gone for over a month. Because the only way to where he used to live was over one big bridge or by ferry, he probably searched for a while, gave up and came back. I was certainly surprised to see him one night when he knocked at the door. I'd given up hope of finding him again.

Another cat, many years ago, was taken to my sisters house about 10 miles away, got loose and showed up at our house about a week later.

I usually keep mine inside for at least a week after moving. That seems to work.

I just checked on ebay, and they have listed

outdoor cat tunnels, runs and enclosures. They

look to be wire mesh, which would give your cats

clear views and fresh air, while keeping them

safe outside. I believe these runs or tunnels

can be connected, to make the cats' space as

large as you'd like. I hope this helps. Welcome

to America, and good luck!

Prepare the cats for the move by explaining everyting to them, the way you would to your children. On arrival at your new home, put butter on the cats' paws. They will lick the butter off and will not run away. (Check previous posts; this really is true!) Make sure you create their comfort zones (litterboxes, eating, sleeping) at the same time and they will settle in easily. Also give lots of reassurance.

Please don't leave your kitties outside. They are so safe inside. I always keep a water squirt bottle by the door and when they go near the door, I squirt them and they soon get the hint. So much can happen to them when they are outside. They have been poisioned, hit by cars, beat up by other cats, kill innocent song birds and other creatures. It breaks my heart when a cat kills a song bird, because many of them only mate for life and they may be feeding babies. That is the main reason mine don't go outside. The song bird population is declining because of domesticated preditors.

We moved about 25 miles from our previous home. I too used the butter on my cats paws. But it was my understanding that after you butter the paws you must dip the paw in a little soil at your new home. The cat will then lick off the soiled butter and he will remember the soil smell. It worked for my cat. He never left home.