What Do I have... Crabgrass?

Hi, I have some sort of grass and I don't know what it is. It has leaves that are 7/16 of an inch wide and has lines in it. The stem of the grass is really stiff or hard and it grows a lot faster than my other grass. It also has a lighter color than my other grass (fescue). Can you please help me out on what it is and how I can get rid of it.

Diana from Michigan

By donna schweitzer (Guest Post)

yes it sounds like crab grass. the only way to get rid of grab grass is to apply a pre emergences on your yard in early spring (called grab grass preventer), it stops the grab grass from germinating. it must be applied every spring. if not, the grab grass will take over your whole yard.

By (Guest Post)

Crabgrass creeps along the ground- what you describe sounds like goosegrass. You can use Roundup on it but that will also kill your grass. There is a spray you can try by Fertilome called Summer Crabgrass Spray; it will also work on the goosegrass.

You can tell if it is a crabgrass if it has a purple tinge in the fall. Try a Crab Grass preventer in the spring. Be sure to do all your raking first . If you rake after applying you break ythe barrier and it will not work

By tim (Guest Post)

My yard looks terrible with crab grass some thick vine grass that is soft but over my grass. If I were to resod my yard can I go over the grass or do I have to rip out the yard down to dirt?

By LeAnn (Guest Post)

Is this crabgrass?

By margaret (Guest Post)

Help! I put down dandilion killer by scotts a week ago, but I have alot of crabgrass. Can I now put down step one of scotts lawn care called turf builder with crabgrass control.