Getting Rid of Crabgrass

Category Grassy Weeds
Getting Rid of Crabgrass
Crabgrass is invasive and can be a big problem for many gardeners. This guide is about getting rid of crabgrass.

This is a guide about organic solutions for crabgrass. Crabgrass can invade your lawn and quickly take over.

Hands using a weeding tool to remove crab grass from lawn

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Hi, I have some sort of grass and I don't know what it is. It has leaves that are 7/16 of an inch wide and has lines in it. The stem of the grass is really stiff or hard and it grows a lot faster than my other grass. It also has a lighter color than my other grass (fescue). Can you please help me out on what it is and how I can get rid of it.

Diana from Michigan

By guest client (Guest Post)

yes it sounds like crab grass. the only way to get rid of grab grass is to apply a pre emergences on your yard in early spring (called grab grass preventer), it stops the grab grass from germinating. it must be applied every spring. if not, the grab grass will take over your whole yard.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Crabgrass creeps along the ground- what you describe sounds like goosegrass. You can use Roundup on it but that will also kill your grass. There is a spray you can try by Fertilome called Summer Crabgrass Spray; it will also work on the goosegrass.

You can tell if it is a crabgrass if it has a purple tinge in the fall. Try a Crab Grass preventer in the spring. Be sure to do all your raking first . If you rake after applying you break ythe barrier and it will not work

My yard looks terrible with crab grass some thick vine grass that is soft but over my grass. If I were to resod my yard can I go over the grass or do I have to rip out the yard down to dirt?

Is this crabgrass?

Help! I put down dandilion killer by scotts a week ago, but I have alot of crabgrass. Can I now put down step one of scotts lawn care called turf builder with crabgrass control.

What is the mixture of vinegar and soap for killing crabgrass?

jimdigital

1 gallon white vinegar . Add 8 drops of liquid dish washing detergent (helps plant material absorb the liquid)

Alright, then what do you do? Spray it on the plant? water the plant ? And how often? If that works I'm going to do it. Does it work on all weeds or just crabgrass? thanks a bunch

We live in North Florida and have about 40% of our St Augustime lawn covered with Crabgrass. I would be interested in finding a way to kill the crabgrass without destroying or damaging the St Augustine grass. I read about the vinegar solution and wondered if this would work. If so, what is the mixture ?

For St. Augustine grass you can use organic crabgrass killers. Just do a google search and you'll find the products.

I am looking for a homemade crabgrass killer.

Tom from Danville, IL

Tom:

Boiling water! It will take a couple days to shrivel up, but it certainly works and leaves nothing to prevent future planting.

Boiling water will kill off grass too if your crabgrass is in the lawn.

My crabgrass is in a big flowerbox that I'm wanting to get rid of. I'm seeing posts for crabgrass killer for lawns. Would it be the same for my flowerbox?

Question:

What is the best and easiest method for getting rid of crabgrass? This year is probably too late to do anything. What should I do for next year? My lawn was over run with crabgrass this year more than any other year.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Vanet from Saugerties, NY

Answer:

Vanet,

I cannot think of any easy solutions to controlling crabgrass, and I'm not sure a person can hope to ever get rid of it completely. Even when using pre-emergent herbicides, it seems to come back eventually. The first thing that I would suggest is to raise the height of your lawn mower blades to 3 inches. This will support the healthy growth of turf grass and leaves less room for crabgrass seeds to take hold.

For long-term control, I would recommend applying corn meal gluten. This is an all natural by-product of milling corn that acts are a pre-emergent for controlling crabgrass, barnyard grass, foxtail, dandelion, lambs quarters, pigweed, purslane, smartweed and others. If applied once in mid spring (around the time the lilacs bloom) and again in mid August, you should catch two different flushes of crabgrass. A third flush will probably be ready to germinate just in time to be killed off by frost. Corn meal gluten should not be used if you're trying to establish a lawn, because it prevents regular grass seed from sprouting too. If you apply this at a rate of approximately 20 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. the first year, you should see at least a 40-50% reduction in crabgrass. Control will continue to improve each year with successive use.

Ellen

Vanet I had read this you might give it a try

Good Luck

A great organic "weed and feed" product is corn gluten. It will suppress crabgrass germination, while fertilizing your lawn.

I think the men mowing also "seeded" my yard-- however I made it worse by agreeing to "scalping" in preparation for summer growth. Will never do that again. The grass didn't have the strength to fight off the weed seeds. The other thing I did was insist the height of my grass to be at least 3 inches before mowing-- we'll find out if mine is OK next spring.

good luck

I need a recipe for crab grass control.

By Jboggs2 from Hudson, FL

Cover it with plastic for a few weeks. This will work for any kind of grass you don't like. Also search for your question, good luck.

Question:

I have heard that there is a type of Canadian grass that produces a thick, lush, and hardy lawn. It is supposed to crowd out crabgrass. What is the name of it and where is the best place or website to purchase it at?

Vanet from Saugerties, NY

Answer:

Vanet,

Are you talking about Canada Green Grass? http://www.seenontvproducts.net/...canada%20grass&OVMTC=standard

If so, I would advise you to check out what others are saying on this forum before spending your money: http://turfgrass.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000002-2.html

It sounds to me like this particular mix is quite the wonder grass. I'm sure this mix could work under the right conditions, but whether or not your site has the right conditions is something you'll have to research. Try to find out if someone on this forum has grown it successfully where you live.

A good mixture of grass seed for lawns in your zone will probably contain roughly 50% Kentucky bluegrass, 30-40% red fescue, and 10 to 20% perennial ryegrass. A diverse mixture is important. Most turf diseases go after one type of grass so a mixture helps to ensure that at least some of your lawn will remain protected should the worst happen. Look for high-quality mixes. They may cost a bit more, but you're likely to get what you pay for. Less expensive mixes have a lower rate of germination and are more likely to contain unwanted types of seeds (weeds).

Good luck!
Ellen

Don't know if this is the grass you're referring to, or if it would work in your zone, but down here (Texas) we have something called "centipede grass" that crowds out the weeds and makes a pretty lawn. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know of an effective, non-toxic way to kill invasive grasses such as Bermuda and Crabgrass? I know that Round-Up kills it, but it is highly toxic and very harmful to the environment.

By DP from Las Vegas, NV

Does anyone out there know a home remedy for killing crabgrass? I have used fertilizer with weed prevent in March, and also baking soda recently, but soda kills the grass, too! Crabgrass is taking over my lawns and my life. I do not know what else to try. Help me.

Thanks, The Crabgrass Lady

By Lillian S.

My yard is full of crab grass. How can I get rid of it? Thanks.

By skkr from WY

Answers:

Getting Rid of Crab Grass

I use a product from Lowe's made by Bayer. It comes in a blue plastic bottle and you attach the garden hose to the fitting on the top. Turn on the water and open the valve on the top of the sprayer. A bottle will cover about 5,000 square feet. It has been very effective for me. Also kills weeds but does not harm grass. I think the product is called All in One Lawn and Crab Grass Killer. (05/13/2009)

By foxrun41

Getting Rid of Crab Grass

Are you sure it's crabgrass? Crabgrass grows in clomps with very wide blades. Could it be Bermuda grass? Bermuda grass runs along the ground with very fine blades. If it's Bermuda turf long Esther will kill it. (05/13/2009)

By BABBIE

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of crabgrass? We have tried so many different things on it and we just can't seem to get rid of it. It is covering a big portion of our yard.

Brenda from Missouri

Answers:

We Use Vinegar

We use vinegar on all our weeds. We mix vinegar and a small amount of dishwashing liquid (to help it stick to the weed) and spray it on crabgrass and weeds. It's cheap and I'm also very wary of chemicals with 4 kids and pets. (04/26/2004)

By Ann

How?

How do you apply it with an sprayer, do you attach to the hose? And what quantities do you use. Great idea because I won't use chemicals either & my yard is being taken over by weeds. (04/26/2004)

By Vicki

Roundup

If you're OK with chemicals, RoundUp is the best herbicide for weeds or any unwanted vegetation. Otherwise, vinegar or salt solution will work, but may make the soil inhospitable to anything for a while. (04/26/2004)

Are you sure it's crabgrass?

Are you sure it's crabgrass? If it stands straight up it isn't crabgrass; probably what is referred to as foxtail or goosegrass. Roundup or vinegar are both okay to use but will kill any grass you spray it on too. (04/26/2004)

By guest

Use a Sprayer

Vicki, To spray the vinegar we use a sprayer from the hardware store. It has a large plastic container that holds a gallon or more and has a short hose and a pump to build up pressure so you can spray it from the hose. Just put the vinegar and dish washing liquid in the plastic container. Most people use the same thing for regular weed killer. (04/28/2004)

Regarding the Vinegar and Soap

As a chemist, I wouldn't recommend adding soap to the vinegar when the intended use is as a herbicide. The acedic acid is the active agent here and soap is a base which just reduces or neutralizes the acidic strength. A mild spray will "stick" well enough. The acid will continue acting even when "dry."
I might also add that vinegar is an excellent relief for insect stings & bites as well as sunburn. (06/14/2004)

By Dr. Jose

Crabgrass From Our Landscapers

We had crabgrass last year but not as bad as this year. Our entire lawn is mostly crabgrass. Our neighbors don't have crabgrass so it is not coming from them. I think it came from our landscaping company that cuts several of his customers lawns and one or more of them have crabgrass. Exactly where he started cutting in our yard this year is exactly where the crabgrass started brand new. We are going to work hard at getting rid of it still this year but next year we may try cutting our own grass. (08/02/2005)

Canadian Green Grass

The best way to kill crabgrass and any weed that may grow in your yard search the web for Canadian Green Grass. This seed works wornders. It survives drought, resists lawn infections, and it kills off any weeds and squeezes out the crabgrass. We just planted new seed last year in the front lawn. And I saw some of this grass seed in a magazine so i ordered some for the back lawn to overseed. It turned out that the back lawn was better looking than the front lawn. You really need to try this, the best part being its cheaper than the ordinary grass seed. Just try it and i guarantee you wont be disappointed. (04/14/2006)

By Matt Gill