Permanent Marker on Formica?

How do I remove sharpie permanent marker off of a formica table top?

Danielle from Orlando, FL

By msaudry (Guest Post)

try alcohol.

did you try calling the marker's manufacturer?

By Allison (Guest Post)

Try nail polish remover on a q-tip.

I've read here before that permanent marker can be removed by rubbing w/vegetable oil - haven't tried it, but it sure won't hurt anything!

Good luck,
slw

Anonymous

I tried it and it didn't work but I used Clorox2 and I got it off.

By Barbie (Guest Post)

WD-40.......always try WD-40 for anything on non porous surfaces.......works on many other things too....check out the web site......www.wd40.com/

By Theresa (Guest Post)

Hi. Just wanted to thank you Barbie...it worked. My nephew wrote with a blue sharpie on the kitchen formica countertop.

I tried the WD-40 and it worked! Thanks a bunch.

By valleau (Guest Post)

Those white magic erasers (sponge type things) are the BEST for EVERYTHING!! I would bet money that that would take the marker off your Formica. WD40 is also an excellent product, but if you don't have it, the white thing is awesome.

Magic eraser also took my grandsons crayon art work very easily from my painted walls

Magic eraser worked so much better than nail polish remover on my formica table top which again was used for my grandsons art work

YIKES I used Magic Eraser on the permanent ink marks on a blue formica table. The ink came off, but so did some of the formica color. I am horrified.

Same thing happened to me, Now I see streaks where I used the magic eraser. I wish I would have thought it out better. I may have to use the magic eraser over the whole dining table to make it look right!

Anonymous

Just discovered dark blue Sharpie marks on my 65 year od formica table, ugh! After reading the posts on here I used the Magic Eraser - took it right off!

Anonymous

I used Clorox bleach. this might only work if you have white Formica counter tops though. It also got on my arm! XP

Anonymous

is that the same as the mr clean magic eraser?

I tried several different things that I saw suggested here or on other sites, and a few things I just decided to try - Wd-40, lacquer thinner, gojo hand cleaner, mineral spirits, goof-off, and lighter fluid. While some help fade it some, none completely removed it. I had used acetone previously and have white spots on that countertop, where the acetone removed the sharpie, but also the color in the countertop itself.

I did not try alcohol or the magic eraser. I did find something that completely removed the sharpie marks without fading or damaging the countertop - driveway and concrete cleaner/degreaser (Purple Power). It does have alcohol in it (butoxyenthanol), as well as sodium hydroxide and a couple other things, so I can't say for sure what did the trick.

Old Formica kitchen counter top. Ever so slightly porous, shine was long gone off of the surface. Plastic bag with "Snook" (umm, yummy) written on it, snook inside, laying there several hours thawing. Pick up the bag, only to find mirror-writing "Snook" in dark blue, down into the Formica. Yikes! WD40 helped some, but not enough. Hydrogen peroxide improved things, but not all the way gone. Alcohol finished it off, completely gone without the faintest trace. I give it to you for what it might be worth.

Had laminate (Formica) counters installed yesterday (v. pretty). Worker used permanent marker for cutting to fit. I rescued one leftover piece that will fit top of small oak laundry-folding table.

Found/read all these suggestions for removing marker, settled on WD40, as comments indicated other solutions might compromise the laminate. PERFECT results took about 20 minutes with WD40 and gentle use of a green kitchen scrubber! Thank you to Thread itself and all who wrote on it!

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 11, 2006
🎄
😷
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31332884.tip.html