TipsFrugal Living

Sorting Tips For Unwanted Clothes

Category Tips

Spring cleaning can be a tiring task. Even after I've gone through my closet, how to know when to pitch my old clothes and when to pass them on to someone else can take more time then needed. Three simple guidelines helped me decide which stack to put each item.

1. Like-new designer clothes. It can pay to take these items to a nice consignment shop, as they're most likely to get a good price for my items.
  2. Used clothing in good condition. Goodwill and the Salvation Army accept all kinds; also check with churches, local hospitals, and agencies that work with the homeless. We have a local Helping Hands store here.
  3. Anything stained, torn or worn threadbare, buttons missing, etc. Only keep these items if you need some extra cleaning cloths. I did go through the throw away pile and remove buttons to use in craft projects.

This year, cleaning my closet was much faster, as I kept each one of these suggestions in mind. The clothes to donate are being picked up by a local agency that left a bag hanging on my front door. All I had to do was fill the bag and a quick phone call for them to pick it up. This also saved time and gas money for me.

Source: The three suggestions came from a newsletter from Cetaphil.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Don't hesitate to include torn or worn clothing in your donations to large thrift shops like the Salvation Army. Those things can be sold in bulk as rags, due to the colume they receive!

I use "It's Deductible" program to donate my stuff to vairous centers. I really helps on income tax time and is sooo easy to use.