AdviceHome Improvement

Painting Over Tile

Does anyone know how I can paint over tiles cheaply, without the paint coming off? I live in rented accommodations and don't want to spend a lot. I've spent too much on this place already! Thanks.

Laura from Barnsley, England

Hi Laura,
The large hardware stores (do you have B&Q/etc over there?) and most likely smaller stores should be able to help you with this. I live in Australia where we can buy special primer and paints for this purpose. You'd probably need to lightly sand the cleaned surface and apply a coat of tile primer so the tile paint has something to adhere to. I have successfully painted my laminate kitchen cupboard doors using the same method, except with the laminate primer & paints (also available in tile versions). Check out the hardware chains, I'm sure they have similar products. It's so much easier than replacing and saves money. The paints can usually be tinted to a range of colours also :)

Anonymous

Before you do anything, get the landlord's permission in writing. If you live in rented accommodations, you can end up spending more money in court if the owner sues you for damages. Just a thought.

Anonymous

Ditto on getting written permission from the owner! Not only will that protect you legally but you also have to think about the fact that repainting tiles (or possible removal of paint from the tiles at a later date) is not an easy job like painting over walls. If the job turns out to not be well done or the color not to the liking of the owner they could realistically charge you for complete tile replacement. So be prepared that the owner most likely will be taking in to consideration your color choice and choice of method of application.

There's lots of information at this link and where it says 'Ask Tim' towards the top is a button you can click on if you have more questions and/or a brand recommendation. Good luck and post pictures if your landlord lets you do this project :-)

http://www.askt  ramic_Tile.shtml

We used a special primer, then 2 coats of ordinary Satinwood paint and topped it with clear satin varnish. 9 years later, still going strong! Just make sure they are thoroughly clean before you start! Also we used a small roller to give a really nice smooth finish.

The previous owners of my home painted over a row of tiles as backsplash in my bathroom. Some of them are peeling and others are adhereing very well -- so well, that I despair of getting the paint off to repaint. If the tiles get wear, I would question the wisdom, but where the paint is sticking on the backsplash, they are as good as any painted wall.

I would certainly check with the owner though, or be prepared to take the paint off before you move out.

Thank you, we do have a b&q so I'll go have a look. The landlord is fine with me decorating so that's good. Thank you all for your much appreciated help.