Switch to Liquid Soap to Avoid Soap Scum

As I am old and lazy, this tip is the best for me. Instead of using a cake of soap in the shower or bath, use liquid soap. Liquid soap is easier to handle and does not leave a thick film of soap scum on bath or shower tiles or glass. Laziness is no good unless carried out well, so liquid soap will allow you to clean your bathroom in minutes, instead of the hard work of yesteryear.

Source: My daughter-in-law, Donna

By Jean from Maffra, Victoria, Australia

We use liquid soap for this very same reason (Also because I don't like the soap-scum feeling on my skin). Finally got my kids to use it too. The only hold out is my husband, who insists on still using his bar soap, guess who gets to scrub the tub & shower now?LOL!

Three cheers for lazy old women! (Thought I was the only one.)
Marg from England.

Bar soap causes soap scum. Spare yourself the extra work by not using it! Switch to gel soaps! I haven't noticed this much myself but my friend told me that ever since he moved and has more than one bathroom he has learned that that the bathroom he was using bar soap in had a soap scum build-up. The one he uses only gel or other liquid soaps in doesn't!

I told him he should submit this tip to ThriftyFun but he wanted me too! A way to get rid of the bar soaps you might have excess of like I do, because I was being thrifty and stocked up at sales, donate them to women's shelters!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Missouri

Answers:

I hadn't really thought to connect the absence of soap scum to the shower gel. Thanks! We are now using, because of skin allergies, antibacterial liquid hand soap (store brand) for both showering and hand washing.
For the bar soap that might be opened use them in your dresser drawers as you would sachet. (12/17/2007)

By MartyD