Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Dark Brown Carpeting

I want to start redecorating my house and dont have too much money. We have ugly brown carpet with dark stained crown molding. I want to replace the furniture and paint the walls. Our living room and dining room is one open space, I need color ideas.

Christina from Richmond, WA

One of the trends in the last few years is to put a pale blue or pale turquoise with dark brown. If you are going to paint your woodwork I would go with an off white, as white might be too stark. You could also find an area rug to pull things together, but it should be light or medium tones of the colors you have in your room. For an accent color you can use celery, corals, or a darker shade of blue from the walls. If you use light camel or a warm neutral for furniture, you can change decors without worrying if your furniture will go with it.
Another thought would be to use a pale celery for the walls and accents in olive and camels.
Of course the 70's colors are all back in also and you could use the spicy oranges, mustards and olives. Just a few thoughts from a person who lived with brown shag!

By Claudia- MD (Guest Post)

An oatmeal or other heathery color is neutral, goes with anything and is better than a single flat color, which tends to show everything. I had choc brown once thinking it wouldn't show dirt- it didn't but showed every speck of lint.