Homemade Faux Finish Paints?

Does anyone have any tips about making your own soft suede paint? I need to know: paint types, proportions, do's and don'ts, etc. Thanks.

Old Guys rule! (the couch anyway).

By Jim from Tulsa, OK

From the other posting, I am assuming it's a fine grit paint? Rottenstone? Check on ebay for carbomer thickener.

The ingredient in suede paint is silica, and you can buy it in boxes at Lowe's for around $4.95. This will do one gallon of paint, I believe. This same silica is in cat litter, and you can run it in a blender to make it as fine as sand. But caution: Do not breathe the fumes, or dust from silica. Mix the silica with glaze and your paint, and voila! Suede paint!

Does any one have a frugal alternative to the "suede" paint finishes? It seems to me there must be some kind of fine sand and a gel of sorts to keep the sand suspended in the latex paint. I hate being held hostage by the "designer" prices for paint and for textured finishes.

Is there a "glazing" recipe out there as well for those "faux" finishes? The colors offered are not my favorites. Thanks in advance.

Alicia from Prescott, AZ

Answers:

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Painting TechniquesNovember 24, 2009
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf34415345.tip.html