Growing Peonies Inexpensively

How can I grow Peonies without paying high prices?

By pattitwins from Roanoke, VA

Find somebody who's willing to share. When they divide their plants get a few shoots.

They are easy to transplant, although I don't know which is the best season to divide Peonies. I would think any season, but especially early spring and late fall for the best success. Just find someone who will divide theirs and share. Well established plants will have lots of new plants under and around the tall plants. You can take these or take your spade and cut right into the parent plant.

After I got mine from a friend several years ago, they did not produce for the first year or two, but that's okay, now I have so many to enjoy. They were white for many years, but this year I have some that are a light pink. Something I have noticed is that every year when my Peonies are blooming, we have rain and the rain soon washes the petals off. I try to enjoy the cuttings before the rain does this. This year we have had the rain but mine bloomed later so the rain hasn't gotten them yet but I expect it to as the blooms mature.

I shared some of mine this year for the first time through yahoo's group FWgardenclub. Search yahoo groups for garden clubs in your area, and you can find and share just about anything at no cost.