Buy Birdseed In Bulk

I buy birdseed in bulk. I feed my birds, safflower, thistle and sunflower seeds, wild bird seed and peanuts for the squirrels and blue jays. I buy the wild bird seed locally, usually a 40 lb bag comes out the cheapest.

I buy the specialty seeds in bulk online. The bags are usually 40-50 lbs, but the price comes out to approx $1 and change for the birdseed. In stores, you pay over $2 a lb. That's how I figured it anyway. Several of the places that sell it in bulk online will ship free. Sometimes even paying $50 or $60 for shipping, it still comes out cheaper than buying in store.

When it gets here, the bags are wrapped tight or in tear proof bags. I just put the big bags in two metal trash cans with lids. Then I bungee cord the lid to the handles just to make sure the smart squirrels don't get in there.

When I'm filling birdfeeders, I just bring the feeders to the cans, have a seat and scoop and fill. I've been doing this for years and it's worked out really well for me.

By lkaserman from Maryland

What websites do you reccomend? Anne

I'm with SherryR from Texas. I don't know what prices & quantities you're dealing with, but $50-60 for shipping alone sounds like truckloads! I've had to move from my lovely home on acreage where we fed birds, squirrels, and foxes...but as our "colony" grew we shifted from KMart seed to local $1 store (small sacks of seed and sunflower seeds, but per pound much less $) to finally chicken scratch at the local feed stores.

Way better cost! (oh, the foxes usually ate cat & dog food! but they're beautiful creatures, and made themselves at home around our yard!).