Schedule Your Chimney Cleaning As Early As Possible

Now that fall is upon us, this is a good time to check out your fireplace. If you need to call in a chimney sweep, do it now, before he is in big demand. In our area, we only have one chimney sweep. His rates are lower during the warm weather and higher during the winter months.

He explained it to me this way: In the summer, he has some days of no work, and at the most he may work 8-10 hours a day. During the winter, he is in demand and people need his service and he may be working 10-14 hours a day. He feels he deserves "overtime pay" as most others earn, plus he has to pay his seasonal winter help overtime as well. In addition, colder weather also brings on a more dangerous work environment, such as snow or ie on the roofs, and having to set his ladder in snow or ice.

So, for your pocket book sake and for safety sake, if you need a chimney cleaning, call and schedule it now.

By April from NW Missouri

My husband actually went out and bought a 'chimney sweep'. He does it himself every year right before we light our first fire. I am unsure how much it cost, but I am sure it has saved us some money!

Thanks for the tip! My husband and I keep talking about how we need to get that done, but have to get it into our budget somehow.

Another thing you should consider doing is to buy a "Fireplace Pillow". This is not a joke! Just "Google it". They are inflated just like you would a childrens toy. You simply snug it up to your damper and then finish inflating it. There's a drop string with a bright color paper telling you that the "pillow" is in the fireplace. This is to insure that someone besides yourself doesn't accidentally start a fire and fill your home with smoke. The "pillows" are around $30.00 and are reusable for next year. If you get your chimney swept then the sweeper will check out your damper. Many times they don't close completely and will suck out the warm air out of your home. Just my 2 cents worth!