Product FinderConsumer Advice

Where to Find Ballard's Corn Meal

Just wondering if anyone in this wonderful group has ever heard of Ballards CornMeal? I can remember my mom using this brand of cornmeal when I was young. My dad is now 71 and wants me to make him some of this cornbread. I can't find it where I live. If you have seen this at your local grocery store, will you please let me know? I may be able to call the store direct and order him some. I will thank you in advance for your trouble. My dad is ill, this is why I would love to be able to do this for him before he passes on.

Angela H. from Hickory N.C.

From what I have learned googling:

It went through a few different ownerships but the cornbread mix is currently made by Martha White (the WHITE, not yellow cornbread mix). The little white banner on the left side, middle says: Ballard on it.

http://www.mart … 2&prodID=657

Check here for where to find in your area:
http://www.mart … here_to_buy.aspx

(It looks like it is available at
Harris Teeter, Lowe's and Food Lion
in your area but be sure to check with your zip code.)

If you can't find it in your area you can order through their online store at the same link as above.

They even feature a Ballard recipe on the white cornbread box:

Ballard Classic Cornbread Stuffing:
http://www.mart … px?recipeID=3918

That is so sweet of you to do that for your Dad.

If they sold it my area I would mail you a box. Good luck to you.

The Martha White recipe just isn't the same. Ballard's was the only corn meal we used, they've changed the recipe. :(

Anonymous

And they don't make it in the yellow corn meal either. :-(

Absolutely true !I am in the process of making the last batch today,,so sad it is not made anymore.

Anonymous

Thank you for contacting The J.M. Smucker Company regarding Martha White® Ballard White Cornbread Mix. We appreciate your interest in our Company and products.

Unfortunately, there was not enough support for the product at the time. Therefore, it was discontinued.
We regret any inconvenience this discontinuation has caused and hope that you may find an acceptable alternative among our other products. Please, visit us at www.marthawhite.com for more information on other Martha White® products.
Thank you again for your interest. We are pleased you have enjoyed our products in the past and hope you will continue to be one of our many loyal consumers for years to come.

There's nothing left to make good dressing with what were you thinking please bring this cornbread mix back

Cornbread dressing is just not the same without Ballard. Its what I grew up and now 63. I WANT MY BALLARD BACK, PLEASE. You have totally ruined our holidays!!

Yes bring Ballard back, dressing isn't the same. Martha should be ashamed to disappoint so many people dressing.

We also used Ballard for years and were disappointed when we couldn't get it. What you are looking for is the old fashioned stone ground cornmeal. This is what we use now - House Autry Yellow Plain Cornmeal sold by Food Lion or Harris Teeter.

It comes in a 2lb bag and the pkg is gold with red lettering. We make it in an iron skillet and it is as good as Ballard. Heat the skillet in the oven first then pour in the batter and bake. Just like my southern Missouri mom used to make!

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip on the cornbread mix to bad ballad is not made any more.

Yes, and Martha White used to have Ballard cornbread mix but they stopped making it which stinks. But you can mix Martha white mix with Morrison's Corn Kits brand make in Texas and have a cornbread similar to the old fashion Ballards. I think it is a shame that Martha White bought out Ballard and stopped packaging it.

I would love for someone to come up the exact receipt. I hope your dad got to eat his cornbread. My Dad wanted gingerbread like his grandmother used to make I can not remember how many receipts i tried till I got it right. Would love some good old fashion Ballard Corn bread.

Which Martha White mix do you mix with Morrison's Corn Kits to get close to the Ballard recipe? I'm desperate. My husband doesn't like anything I have tried since Martha White discontinued making the Ballard recipe (which was not exactly the same as Ballard.)

Anonymous

Martha white bought them out. They also carry the ballast d dressing recipe