MiscellaneousCleaning

How Do You Remove Sticky Labels?

What is the best way to get sticky labels off?

By Isobel Gregory

I just take a wet cloth and soak the label till I can see the water saturated the entire label, it should just slide off quiet easily then.

Acetone works well on glass; baby oil works well on plastic. Let either soak in and then just wipe the label and stick residue right off with a paper towel.

I find that the hot water still leaves the glue-y stuff.

Get off as much as you can of the label then rub some peanut butter into what is left. Let sit a few minutes then rub with a wet cloth or paper towel. This method has never let me down.

If you soak the label and it comes off but leaves a stubborn, sticky residue, use Goo Gone. Just wipe on and off, or soak a little and then wipe off. Don't know how I kept house before I discovered this stuff! --shoe

Eucalyptus oil is a great sticky label remover. Just dab it on, leave for a few minutes and it should wipe off fairly easily.

I always use lighter fluid.

Many labels will peel off easily if you warm them. Do this with a blowdryer, warm sunlight in a window or even the palm of your hand. If that does not work, spray PAM or another brand of spray oil onto the surface and wait several hours before attempting removal.

Be sure the product with the label on it will not be harmed by the oil. If in doubt, test an inconspicuous spot.