Wildlife: Deer At Bird Feeders

Almost every evening these little ladies come to our bird feeders. That's right, deer eating bird seed! In fact, we had to put the feeders up pretty high in the tree, or the deer knock all the seed out. Now they just come and eat what the birds throw on the ground. The birds look in my window, nosy things! I've seen 5 or 6 at a time.

Sometimes a buck comes. I didn't know they kept their antlers in the winter. He's at least a 6 point buck. I love watching them snack. Sometimes I put chopped apples and carrots out for them. It's a real pleasure watching them. The bag you see hanging in front are thistle for the gold finches and chickadees.

Source: My front yard

By Free2B

Beautiful photos.Thanks for sharing.I love the deer that come around here in NC but they can be destructive to a garden and things we put out for other visiting friends.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Fabulous pics. Thanks.
Marg from England.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I just did a little research on deer. They do shed their antlers in winter, but some do so very late in the season.

I guess your buck is one of those who shed later. January is not unusual. And the further south you are, the later in the winter the shed occurs.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos WildlifeJanuary 12, 2011
🍀
💘