When Should I Plant Early Peas?

I live in Indiana and would like to know when to plant green peas. (June peas/early peas)

By joyce from Laconia, IN

I'm in Upstate NY, which is zone 5 and I plant my peas about 4 weeks before my last frost which is about the end of April, beginning of May. Peas love cool weather. After I plant a row or two, I wait two weeks and sow another row or two just in case we get a killing frost and I lose a few plants, plus it extends the harvest. Check the seed packet for information on the specific variety that you are growing, but in general, that is what works for me.

Traditionally, peas are planted on St Patrick's day. They don't rot in the ground if it is too wet or too cold and will come up when the time is right.hope this helps,we are in Ohio and have always done so.

Good luck, grammy.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMarch 2, 2011
📓
🌻
🎂