Tires for Raised Beds

If you can get hold of some old car tyres, stack them up (whatever height is comfortable for you). They make great raised beds for flowers or vegetables. You can fill them part way up with old used compost and top up with new for economy. Great if you have trouble bending or kneeling.

Source: I found the idea in a gardening magazine years ago

By Jan from Grantham. UK

By Squirrley (Guest Post)

I have heard the same thing about tires leaching toxins into edible plants. I personally wouldn't use them for that, but for flowers and ornamentally I would. I like the hint of making them into steps....sounds like a good idea and a bit safer, maybe, than cement steps.
Thanks for sharing.

This is so ironic. I tried this last year w/ 3 tires going down the side of my driveway. I had painted them and planted petunias. Even tho there were blossoms, the municipal inspector left a 'nasty-gram' telling me to remove the garbage from my driveway, specifying the tires!

Of course they didn't have a procedure for the disposing of tires in there recycle policy - that would've made too much sense!