Make Small Raised Beds from Old Tires

Small raised garden beds save energy, water, and growing medium! Looking for ways to conserve energy and not dig more than I have to, I covered a large rectangular area with old garden cloth, large pieces of corrugated cardboard, etc. I then arranged old tires, sidewalls removed with a very sharp knife, on the area in an interesting pattern. A hole cut into the garden cloth inside the tire openings completed my new raised planters.

During the winter, I use the tires for small compost piles and in the spring I will fill them up with a mixed growing medium. In between the tires I will cover the area with wood chips so it is an attractive area, and the tires will almost disappear once the plants fill them up.

Source: I adapted my earlier experience with post hole composting and added recent information about raised beds and easy growing mixes from Mel Bartholemew's new edition of "Square Foot Gardening".

By Oldgardener from Thornton, NH

That is an interesting Idea for tires. I do remember years ago people used to use very large truck tires for flower planters in the front yard.

They also make nifty sandboxes for kids. Just remember to cover them when not in use.

I recently went to a seminar on raised bed gardening. Now they are saying NOT to use tires for beds for growing food, because of cancer causing chemicals leching from the tires into the plants we eat. Its ok for flower beds however. The same with treated wood and railroad ties.