HeatingHome Improvement

Taming A Snake To Keep Out Drafts

Category Heating

Drafts from under doors or windows can be blocked by laying a handmade "snake" across the crack. Make a tube out of material or use a knee sock or several socks sewn together. Stuff the sock with any bulky material, and then sew up the open end.

You can get really fancy and make a snake that is very effective for outside doors. Do this by sewing 1-inch pieces of Velcro tape at 12 to 18-inch intervals. Finally, attach the snake to the door with the Velcro so that it hangs down over the crack. The Velcro will keep the snake at the base of the door no matter how many times it's opened.

By joesgirl

The velcro tip is a good one. One year I had a real very poisonous snake in the house that came in under the door - luckily my good old dog killed it before I got out of bed in the dark and stood on it! Since renovating, the adjustable 'flap' on the base of the door no longer meets the ground so a velcro snake will be a good idea to block the gap.

Regards

Jo

I needed a draft guard for the door, so I cut out the pant legs of some jeans, and stuffed them with plastic bags and newspaper and tied both ends with twine, so I can add more if necessary. Works like a charm and saves loads of money.

By DMC

I read the Daily Thrifty Tips and I wanted to say the tip I think should WIN is the one from DMC Titled Homemade Draft Guards the one about using a pants leg to make a snake. I have been wondering as I drive around "how can I make one without having to sew, I could get 3 socks and try to put them together ...etc.." and then tonight I saw this tip...GREAT

I want to Thank JoesGirl, Debra in Co and all others who post tips. You have given me so many tips that I now use daily...each time I open TF email I know I will learn something.

Thank You. Thank YOU. THANK YOU for tips and taking a moment to share them with me. I feel blessed.

Annie~Butterfly~

By Anthony (Guest Post)

I was just thinking if a pair of stockings would work. by cutting off a leg and stuffing in? but with what?