Repairing Cracks in Drywall?

We live in an old house. The bathroom off our bedroom was once a small porch and the former owners made a small bathroom out of it. However, it has no air conditioning or heat. It's just built on a cement slab.


Due to the temperature fluctuations over the years and because it's been painted by us and was painted by many other owners before us, naturally there are lots of areas where the ceiling has pulled away from the molding; the corners of the room have cracked open. You get the picture.

What I want to do, I'm not handy, is to fill in these gaps with some kind of filler or Spackle and then I want to paint over the Spackled part as well as the rest of the room. Does anyone know what kind of Spackle I'll need, please?

I'm also going to use Kilz because it's got damp spots that may or may not be able to be salvaged because the sheet rock might be moldy and cruddy.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

By metroplex from Houston, TX, USA

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 17, 20100 found this helpful

Since it's a room that receives a lot of moisture I would use the heavier, thick paste type of Spackle rather than the whipped fluffy kind you can use for picture holes and minor cracks. Even if you have to do two or three coats; do it that way (multiple coats) because globbing on a lot of the thick Spackle in one go doesn't work very well because that will crack upon complete drying.


If you have to do more than one coat be sure to lightly sand between each coat.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 18, 20100 found this helpful

I would use the webbed seam tape for wallboard as well on the cracks. This will help it from cracking again. Apply the webbed tape and use a putty knife to put the spackle ( I use wallboard paste) over the tape in a thin layer and let this layer dry. Then put another layer on covering any signs of the tape. Let dry completely and sand the area with sanding grid to make a smooth look. Prime with white flat paint then put your paint of choice on. It takes time to do this but the end results will look nice. My husband was a handyman and I was a handywoman and did all his wallboard repairs for him. If you have water stains use the shelac based Kilz.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 20, 20100 found this helpful

You live in a humid climate, the problems will only continue. Figure out a way to vent that place before the problems multiply! Congrats on fixing up the place!


Buy the best venting you can afford. We purchased a vent for our no-window bathroom and although the clerk told us we did not need a higher HP motor, he was so wrong!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsJune 17, 2010
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-18 12:16:55 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.