ColoringHair Tips

Removing Semi Permanent Hair Color

Will Dawn remove semi permanent hair color?

By Jeannie Arthur from Spokane, WA

I tried using "DAWN" once on my hair and it didn't remove the color but it removes the natural oils in your hair. It made my hair dry and frizzy. Use at your own risk.

When I was a cosmetologist, word was that using a hot oil treatment would remove all or most of the semi-permanent color; I think I read it in a trade journal at some point. The reason I say 'word was' is because I never had a reason to try it. However, I did style ethnic hair which required the use of oils sometimes to combat dryness and I did notice the semi-permanent color did not last as long when I used those products.

Don't use Dawn, but after the hot oil treatment you can use a buildup removing shampoo (these are sold both in regular stores and beauty supply stores) of your choosing to remove a little more.

Even with a buildup remover, the hot oil treatment should prevent your hair from getting too dry if you typically use a good conditioner. Even if the color does not all come out it should only be a little left, and your hair should be in better condition afterward! One caveat: if you applied heat to the semi-permanent color to make it more intense, or started with overly-dry hair, it will be more difficult to remove and only time will complete the task. Good luck!

Dawn is a grease remover & will strip your hair of any oils.

Thank all of you so much. I'm glad I didn't do the Dawn soap. I figured if it removed tar oil from animals, maybe? :( but all is good now. Thanks much!