Training a Boxer Puppy

I have an 11 month old boxer. She is a female. She has been through classes and knows the basic commands (sit, stay and come). She also shakes and uses a bell at the back door when she needs to go potty.

But she jumps on people, barks while in the car and will not sit in the back seat, and she pulls on the leash. Can anyone give me ideas to help her stop these behaviors?

By Sherri

One thing I have learned about the pulling on a leash is to use a head collar. It doesn't harm them in any way, but they just don't like the fact of being lead by their muzzle. It helps my lab and hound mix who pulls me everywhere. When I walk he walks, when I stop he sits besides me. It's the greatest.

Boxers are intelligent dogs, I'm sure you know that. For jumping on people, have them ignore her (don't make eye contact with her either). If she jumps on them, they should turn their back to her. She should not be addressed (petted, talked to) until she sits. She's doing it for attention; if she doesn't get the attention, she'll stop doing it. Important - have everyone entering ignore her for 5 minutes or so, until she is sitting.

For barking in the car, try taking a bone or favorite toy to keep her attention. Also, praise her when she is quiet - try to ignore her when she is barking. But the praise when doing the right thing is *key*.

As far as keeping her in the backseat, the bone or toy might help with that. You could also get a safety belt (which she should be wearing anyway in case of an accident). The safety belt will keep her in the backseat.

It's more productive to praise for good behavior than to punish for bad behavior.

For pulling on the leash - if she pulls, you stop. Start walking....if she pulls again, stop. Keep doing this until she learns that when she pulls, you don't move. Remember to praise her when she is walking with you, not dragging you.

You might also try taking another class, because walking on lead is a basic instruction.

Boxers are high-energy dogs and a tired dog is a good dog! So give her the exercise she needs, play with her for 20 minutes or so to expend some of that energy - and when she's pooped, take her for a walk - she should be alot more calm and willing to just take a walk with you.

I love watching Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisper, and implementing what he does. His site as info on these. Here is the link for the Jumping on people. Browse his site for the Barking and Pulling issues. Hope this helps! One thing I have learned, no matter what, you have to be consistent.
http://www.cesa … umping-on-guests