AdviceDogs

Older Dog Frightened and Aggressive with New Puppy

I have an 8-year-old Yorkie who is very friendly with people, but terrified of the frisky 4-month-old puppy my adult daughter (who lives with us) recently acquired.

The puppy continually jumps on the Yorkie, trying to get him to play, but he either runs away from her, or barks and snaps at her. I've tried holding him when he's calm, and bringing her near so he can sniff. How can I encourage him to accept her as a companion?

By Mary

What breed is the new puppy? I think if they're both small dogs they'll eventually begin to play. I recently got an 8 month Schipperke which is the most hyper dog I've ever seen in my life (I've seen and worked with thousands!) and my 5 year old doxie reacted the same way for awhile. Now, 2 months later, they play and roll and tumble and nibble on each other. It's actually been good for the older dog because before all she did was lay on the couch or follow me around. I think if you give it some time they'll be good buddies.

I also think the idea of holding your yorkie and maybe having somebody bring the puppy close so they can both be contained and let them "visit" while they're held will help them become used to each other.

Most older animals are afraid of younger animals because it is their instinct to kill whatever is weak or sick. In your case, the puppy's energy is weak. Don't force the puppy on the older dog. Let nature take it's course. Supervise the dogs when they are together. The best way to get dogs to accept each other is to take them both for a walk. You won't walk far with the puppy but with time you will make progress.