BathroomHome

Repairing Cracked Tile Grout

How do you repair grout around tub and bottom of tile? In the area where the last tiles meet the tub, the grout is cracking, crumbling, discoloring, and mildewing. I have tried caulk, but that just molds and mildews lasting only a couple of months. Any inexpensive ideas/fixes?

By Karla M. from Jesup, GA

They do make a plastic edging that replaces caulking. I bought mine at Ace Hardware. It is in a roll and designed for tubs, but it might solve your problem. You could also replace the grout with molding (wooden) or something that won't easily mold. Obviously getting wet it is not going to last indefinitely though. Keep the area as dry as possible, too. Here is an idea...how about concrete? Very thin line of it. I doubt it much molds.

I just found this great website. I am sure that you have heard of it before. Follow the link below to "This Old House". Good luck!

How to Caulk Around a Tub

www.thisoldhouse.com/.../0,,20050103,00.html