BugsPest Control

Red Bugs Outside on Air Conditioner and Walls

Category Bugs

I have these red bugs on my outside wall. What are they? They are all over my air conditioner and walls.

Debra from Eustis, FL

Could they be a lady bug? If they are red with spots or orangy (sp?) They swarm here in RI in the fall, and then they go away leaving the bodies of the deceased behind. A pain to clean up, but that's all.

Dollar Stores usually carry insect bomb for about $5.00 for two or three cans. Place them spaced apart under your house. This will help to rid the pesty beetles and spiders around your house. I would take a glass jar with lid and put Pine Sol with a little water in it halfway full and place the bugs in it when they got inside the house.

It kills them immediately, but you have to keep doing it otherwise they keep coming in and they leave an unhealthy odor if you vacuumn them into the sweeper. I did this until I found the bug bomb which really was effective. They are attracted to the sunny side of the house, skylights and lamplight.

I can think of two bugs that fit your description. One is the "box elder" bug. The other is the "Asian lady bug", some people call them Japanese beetles or ladybugs. Do a Google search on each of them. A picture will come up and maybe you can identify them and get some tips from the experts.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

If they're tiny, it's Aphids, worthy of killing, unless you can buy some Tricogama flies that are a natural parasite to them? Good luck and God bless you. : )

By Colin (Guest Post)

Definitely Japanese beetles. My air conditioner sucks in at least three or four each night, not to mention a couple of moths. Tomorrow, I'm headed over to the hardware store and getting a beetle trap for the yard.

They usually fly (loudly) around the room, making loud sounds when hitting walls. I wouldn't try to crush them. They crush easily, but they make a sickening crunch.