My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: Saving Money and Water

I have lived a frugal life all my life. I am 1 of 11 children so we had to learn to save almost everything from food scraps to water saving. My Frugal LifeNow I have 4 children. Every summer, I place a bucket in the shower so we can still water my plants.

My children used to looked at me weird, saying "why mum? Our friends don't do this." We do this to save money and water. They understand now that they're older. My mum use to do the same thing

Debbiedeery from Frankston Vic, Australia

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

My husband does the same thing. We have a decorative pitcher next to the shower. When he puts the shower on to warm the water, he fills the jug and waters the plants. When he is done, he fills it up again. Now we have a cat who does not drink out of a water dish, she uses the filled pitcher of water!

Nice to know I'm not alone. I used to catch the initially cold water in a bucket and add it to my grandson's fish tank (after waiting 24 hours for the chlorine to evaporate).

Now I use the water in the bucket to wash my floors. I was born during the great depression and we had to learn many ways to manage.

Hi Debbie. I too am an Aussie. I live in Thornbury over the north side of Melbourne. Yes, important for us all to water save. I live in a second floor apartment, no garden, but I do have a row of potplants on the balcony,so when I change my cats (two) water for fresh, their old water gets tipped on the plants.. also any pot water.. say from boiling eggs.

If you have a faucet leak or leaky roof, collect the water in a bucket and then pour it into your toilet. The force of the water being poured in will flush your toilet without using the water in the tank.

It usually takes about 2 liters but don't use a 2 liter bottle. You must pour a large amount all at once.