Clorox Stains on Carpet

I was walking around checking things out and spilled Clorox on the carpet. I tried everything to get it out. Two weeks later I am still trying with no luck. Do you have any suggestions

By Izzabele from Scottsbluff, NE

Best Answer

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent.

Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.

You will not be able to "get it out" as what you have done is bleached out the color of the rug. If you have extra piece of the rug, either left over from the install, or in the back of a closet, you can cut out a square which includes the bleached out part, cut a square the same size from your remnant, and using double faced carpet tape, secure it to the pad.

Good luck!

I've done this. I bought Rit dye and put some (not all) in a clear glass added some water until I got what appeared a similar color. With a picture paintbrush, I painted the carpet. It's easier to start with a lighter color and add more if needed. I let it dry and it's permanent. Our new carpet was only a week old and I fixed an entire hallway. My spouse never knew. (You can always mix different colors of Rit together - I used small portions of powered Rit, not liquid - it seemed too potent.) Blotting helps too, it helps get the color down more deeply.