SoupsRecipes

Leftover Soup

Save leftover veggies, gravy (this works better with brown), bits of meat, (rice, noodles, pasta, even mashed potatoes), etc. into a big size freezer bag or plastic container. When it is full, it doesn't take much effort to prepare a delicious homemade soup ! Add a bay leaf and that's just about as easy as it gets!

By Veronica from Sedalia, Missouri

I hate to waste food and sometimes you might have that little bit of taco meat or sloppy joe meat left over. Save it in a freezer bag and the next time you are at a loss for something good and warm, take it out. I like to dice some potatoes, add water and let them cook awhile. Add a few cans of vegetables like corn and green beans and the leftover meat. Let simmer awhile then add a can of tomato soup. Makes a nice cheap soup. You can use whatever leftover vegetables you may have instead of canned. I have used cabbage, kale, carrots, leftover navy beans, leftover macaroni, etc. at various times. I don't worry about this soup becoming another leftover, there's never any left over!

By Dawn from Gary, IN

Answers:

Leftover Soup

I always make soup from leftovers too. I have a freezer, and in the summer when I put up veggies, I pour the water I blanche them in into a container and put it into my freezer. It helps keep my freezer full so it runs more efficiently, and in the cold weather, I have flavored stock for my soups. I have to laugh when people ask for soup recipes. I say, use what you have and be creative. We've eaten some of the best soups this way. (11/08/2006)

By susan