Contact Creditors to Adjust Late Charges

I was ill for some time and unable to keep up to date with my finances and the organization of my bills. I incurred several late charges over the period of one year. I would pay my bills, but they would be between 1-4 days late and I would receive a late charge.

I wrote to each creditor asking if they would adjust these late charges as a one time deal. There were some who just did the adjustment and others I had to contact via phone. When I combined all the late charges that were adjusted it came to a total of over $500.00.

This was such a great break for me. It was worth the effort of writing and detailing each charge and the exact amount of days the bills were late.

By Carol Gomes from New Bedford, MA