Motor Oil Stains on Cement

How do I remove a car oil stain on a cement driveway?

By Peggy B from Philadelphia, PA

I think I remember that you can sprinkle baking soda on it (a lot of it). Let it sit a while and then sweep it up. I will ask my sister, the expert, though, she does not have a drop of oil in her garage.

If they are not very deep stains, they do tend to fade over time. My son drives an old Toyota (85) which off and on, leaks fluids. These disappear in the wind, rain, snow, and sun over time. In shops, for substantial spills, they use floor dry, which is cheap kitty litter. They leave it for awhile (hours, days) to absorb the oil, and then sweep it up.

Cover the oily spots with clay cat litter, which will soak up a lot of the oil. The rest will disappear over time as nature evaporates it. You could also mix some baking soda into the cat litter.

We use gasoline, lighter fluid or paint thinner and it removes oil stain very quickly after evaporation. Let us know what worked for you.

Cat litter is good to start with then buy some cheap detergent and pour on the stain, using a stiff broom to work it in. For discoloration separately use household bleach. My guys are always having to clean up, they drive up on my patio! So they know they have to clean up their messes.

"Behr" Cleaner/Degreaser sold Home Depot best ever, removes anything off the driveway, sold in silver bottle/green label, strong stuff will eat your hands but not your driveway, you will need rubber gloves, light scrubbing with a bristle brush. Try diluting but I use full strength. Great Stuff!

How can motor oil stains be cleaned from a garage floor (cement)?

Fred from DE

Answers:

Motor Oil Stains on Cement

Spirit of Salts. (04/03/2007)

By Carol Churchill

Motor Oil Stains on Cement

Try Coca Cola. My mom washed our driveway every Friday morning and any grease on it got the soda and it worked everytime!

Dar in Texas (04/03/2007)

By Darlene D.

Motor Oil Stains on Cement

I have heard you can pour regular kitty litter on motor oil stains and it absorbs the oil. I think you need to leave it on it for a few days or up to a week, then sweep away the kitty litter. (04/03/2007)

By Joy

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsOctober 14, 2010
🎄
🎉