Childproofing Your Home Office

My two year old granddaughter was here overnight and after finding her trying to open a bottle of liquid paper, I decided to childproof our home computer room. Here is the lists of things I did to make the room kid safe:

1. Put all cleaning supplies, ink cartridges, and liquid paper in a drawer, out of sight.

2. The letter opener, scissors, pens, and pencils are also put in a sorter tray in my desk drawer.

3. My husband made new keys for the file cabinets so they can be kept locked so she can not pull open the drawers.

4. I cleaned up the clutter, loose change, rubber bands, tops to pens, and paper clips, all are now stored where little hands can not find them and perhaps swallow.

5. We now keep our paper shredder off at all times, only turning on when we need to shred.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

I work in a daycare with 2 year olds and please if you are putting things in a drawer please make sure it has a lock on it and you use the lock. 2 year olds love to open and close drawers and doors. I would also put shredder in a closet where she can't reach it.

I have learned in the many years that I have worked with all ages of children you don't underestimate them. They are smarter than we like to think! My motto is better to be safe than sorry! We love our children and grandchildren and don't want anything to happen to them.

I agree that certain things can't just be in a drawer that a small child can get into. My 4 yr old daughter at the time got my scissors out of my desk drawer when I didn't see her and very quickly cut up her hair. Luckily I caught her before she did too much damage.

My advice is to lock or latch the door to your office if it has a door.

You have to be one step ahead with small children, that's for sure.

You have to think what they might think to do and it is definitely better to be safe than sorry!

Is the paper shredder just turned to off or is it unplugged??? My kids always wanted to press every button and turn every knob so just turning to off isn't good enough.

Amen, Teresa Kay! My 2-year-old grandson came by for a brief visit and reminded Grandma my computer monitor was off. (I use a screen-reader program and rarely turn on my monitor anymore.
Long story short, my little guy enjoyed playing with my computer mouse so much, I was forced to turn off my computer to avoid his accidentally deleting something important! Thank goodness, there were three sighted adults to keep track of him.

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler SafetyOctober 8, 2009
📓
😷
🎂
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf43141170.tip.html