ReusingGreen Living

Use Recycled Drink Tubes For Organizer

Recently, I had the opportunity to organize a friend's pantry. To minimize space, I emptied all her drink mixes into a basket, leaving me with these wonderful tubes. I recently submitted a hint about clipping cans together for on-the-spot tools, silverware, craft supplies, etc. Someone else creative submitted one about using one of these. So, I decided to take them both and make a desk top organizer for my craft room.

I bunched them together with tape to keep it secure long enough to wrap some ripped fabric around it. You can also use colored duct tape, (or gray if it's out in the shop), clear tape then contact paper, old head bands, scarves you no longer use, or just about anything. You can also slip some tape over the tops of all the tall ones, and just spot glue to bind the smaller one in the front. You don't need to cut these, as they do come in shorter versions. You can use them for just about anything that needs to be vertical.

Bathroom:Brushes, combs, and more.

Kitchen: Silverware, utensils, dish scrubbers.

Craft Room: See what I used it for and keep going.

Shop: Screwdrivers, separated by phillips or flathead, tools, paint brushes, and the like.

Desk: Pens, pencils, scissors, and much more.

Note: If you use them for the desk, the smaller ones are best. Pens and such tend to get lost in the larger ones.

You can even go one step further and put some cork on the bottom for non skid, or that wonderful weave you can get at the Dollar Tree.

By Poor But Proud from Yorktown, VA

I really liked this idea. I use a couple of coffee cans for all my pens, markers, colored pencils, scissors, etc. Hard to find the right thing. I could do this then it would be organized by item. Thanks I thumbs upped you!

What exactly was in those containers? I am trying to figure out what type of drink mix containers you are talking about.

Anonymous

You out did yourself and I love the Christmas looking fabric. A thumbs up but am also confused as to what kind of juice container. Please advise because I love your idea :-)

Thanks! These are from the Crystal Lights, generic or store brand with the little tubs inside. They generally have 5 inside, but the littler ones generally have 3 inside.

I have found, to my absolute dismay, that VA does not have an effective recycling program, and believe it or not, I would have to throw these out or use them for something. Well, you all know what I am doing!

I use them for leftovers, which freeze really good, too. You can also make a bank out of them, dividing them by pennies, nickles, etc.

Come Christmas, they are perfect for keeping fragile things safe inside packages.

They can be filled with rocks and used for shelf supports if you need a shelf to hold up a microwave, books, canisters, planters, knickknacks, or a collection. You can paint them or cover with kids photos, (cover with clear plastic sheeting like a sheet protector if they are going to be by the stove to prevent grease splatter), contact paper, fabric, or stickers.

Keep your intimate products private in your luggage or overnight bag. It's also great for makeup brushes and combs/brushes, toothbrushes, etc.

Use them for first aid kits in the car, for coins, keeping office supplies or camping gear dry.

Put it in your cupboard to make a "safe" that no one would think of looking for valubles in (just make sure you don't donate it to the local food bank)!

You can use these for just about anything that needs to be tall, secure, etc. I hope this helps you all come up with your own ideas! Sandi/Poor But Proud

Your ideas are so inspiring! I gave you a thumbs up, too!
God Bless, Sheila in Springfield, IL

Anonymous

Hey, Sandi! I've seen this picture before but guess what I noticed this time and it's kinda cool? Look at your bangs just above your right eye (left in the picture) and two different strands seem connected in to a slightly rounded point and if you follow them both going up towards the center of your hairline, well, it looks like the shape of a heart with little line in it! I know, sounds weird but I got a smile out of it ;-)