Cleaning Scuffs From White Patent Leather Sandals

I have a tip for white patent scuffed sandals. Firstly I cleaned the scuffed area with nail polish remover, then toothpaste and finished this off, with fast drying liquid paper.

By dunbarj from Queensland

Anonymous

You can also condition patent leather shoes with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.

How do you whiten white patent leather shoes? I have a great pair of white sandals from a few years back, but they look a bit yellow. Anyone know how to get them white again?

Sandy from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Whitening White Patent Leather Shoes

White patent leather is just plastic - and it yellows - I don't know if anything can be done, other than somehow painting the shoes, maybe with paint made for plastic? (06/25/2007)

By

Whitening White Patent Leather Shoes

Like white plastic formica, I'd be very careful, but use Creme Peroxide over night, having applied it evenly to the shoe surfaces only, with a q-tip. Place them in a gallon zip lock bag to prevent the peroxide from drying out. It just might lift the yellowing enough to please you. If not, I'd gently wipe/rinse it off and proceed with whatever other plan you might have.

You will likely have good luck using a SPRAY paint on them, after trying to bleach with Creme peroxide. I'd stuff the shoe first with newspaper, mask the edges of the soles, and spray outside your home ON top of newspaper away from the house. Krylon from the Dollar General claims to be for plastic and I've had great luck with it.

Make sure the plastic is dry before painting, then dry before wearing after painting. Don't over-spray to prevent drips/running. Better to spray very lightly about 14-16" from the shoes the first time, then let it dry and go back over any place that needs it but LIGHTLY. Remember to shake the can well first, before painting, then to turn the can upside down and spray for a second to clear the nozzle for the next use in the future.

I'd look for a "glossy" paint, not using a "flat" paint, if you like the patent look. Otherwise, you can use flat paint to make it appear to be colored leather for a new look. Also, if you are artistic, you could add a few ornaments to the shoes if you would like/have them, to give it your personal touch?

Good luck and God bless and help you. : ) (06/25/2007)

By Lynda