Tex-Mex Enchiladas

I am looking for Tex-Mex beef enchilada recipes. Also, how is the sauce made that goes over them? Thanks. I love this site.

By cats21dog from Long Beach, MS

If you are talking about the red sauce, that is called enchilada sauce. There are several store products. Some are a mix in a pouch, and some come in a can, ready to use, and of course, you can google 'enchilada sauce' for several recipes to try, till you find just the one you like! I don't make those, so I don't have a recipe to share :(

I use Old El Paso Enchailada red sauce mix when I make enchiladas. There is a very simple recipe on the back of the can for them that only involves 4 or 5 items and takes about 45-60 minutes start to finish. The sauce comes in mild, medium and hot, which I sometimes mix and I also usually use at least one extra can of sauce because we like the sauce.

The red sauce is called chili Colorado. I like the specific taste of canned enchilada sauce so I make chili sauce and then add a can of enchilada sauce. I don't know what the unknown ingredient is. I hope it comes up on this column. For chili sauce, take dried chilies (not real hot, soak for 20 minutes, take out the stem and seeds (these make them hotter), put the husks in a blender with a couple cloves of garlic and 1-2T cumin, some salt. Hold the top and blend. Add 1-2T flour, blend. Heat to simmer. Simmer 10 min. Add canned sauce if you use it. Dip tortillas. Fill tortillas. Pour sauce (reserve if you may need more for after they're heated). Maybe 350F for 20-40 min. This (obviously) is not an exact recipe. Good luck.

Actually, poster Tennesue was correct. I am Mexican-American and love Mexican food. Chili Colorado just means red chili sauce. The brand is Las Palmas in a yellow can, do NOT use the enchilada sauce it is not as good. My sisters and I just talked about it.

Dip corn tortillas in hot oil for a second or two til soft not hard then dip in red chili sauce and save some red chili sauce to pour on top as you are serving. I just made these and boyfriend was impressed.