MiscellaneousHome

Smoke Alarms Have Gone Off Intermittently For Seven Years

Why does my smoke alarm go off intermittently for no reason? We are on our 2nd set of alarms. It's happened with both sets. It has been happening for 7yrs now. There are fresh batteries, they are dusted, hard wired, and in a circuit. The upstairs one is the one setting it off (I know because of a light on the alarm that notifies us). The house was new construction when we moved in. Any ideas? No one has been able to help yet. Thanks!

By Sarah from Chicago, IL

My smoke alarm in the kitchen, goes off when there is steam near it! May that be the problem?

If it were me, I'd disconnect them. Use wire nuts to cap them off, push them back up into the hole and buy some plain old battery powered ones and put over them in the area where the old ones were. Evidently you have a short somewhere and you may end up with a fire if it is sparking.

Smoke alarms that are ionic in nature should not be used in humid areas. I live in northern Indiana and had turn off my breaker that is attached to my alarms because of this. It happened mostly in the summer when the humidity is high, or in the winter when occasionally the humidity is high. Good luck.