BathroomCleaning

Milk Stains on Foam Mattress

Category Bathroom

I would like to know if anyone out there has tips on cleaning dried in milk stains from foam a mattress? My kid likes to drink milk form his bottle when he sleeps and I often find a wet patch of milk on the mattress. it has happened many times and now the bedroom is starting to smell because of this problem. help!

Sam from Germany

Best Answer

You can try sprinkling borax (available in the laundry detergent aisle) on it, after slightly dampening the matress, then allowing it to dry. It might not get rid of the stain, but it will get rid of the odor.

By k w (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have you tried ammonia, it works on most things, good luck.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I spilled a bowl of milk onto my foam mattress.
First, I blotted up what liquid I could with a towel. Then , I used my small vacuum cleaner on the mattress until the mattress was dry. Next, I sprayed upholstery cleaner on the stains and vacuumed that as well. Finally, I sprinkled scented carpet powder (you could use baking soda instead ), vacuumed that and I have a fan blowing on the mattress.

You could try sponging with some Club soda, but if the milk has soaked into the foam mattress it might be difficult to remove. Also it's not a good idea to let little ones drink milk as they go to sleep, as this encourages tooth decay. Try switching to water - this will also solve the milk-stain problem. Good luck!

Sam,

If the mattress is a foam mattress have you tried pouring a dish soap on the mattress and taken the mattress to a car wash and used the high pressured washer there to wash the mattress? You would have to get it dried somehow then...or simply buy a new mattress and start again.

You should put a plastic sheet on top of the foam mattress AFTER you get it cleaned then put on the sheet set. Now and even later when potty training starts all you have to do is take of the wet and soiled sheet, wipe down the plastic sheet and put clean sheets on. That way the mattress stays clean. Now with my teenagers I put 2 - 3 old thin blankets between the mattress and the sheet set in order to keep the mattress clean. No plastic anymore. Plastic sheet...or large plastic garbage bag cut to fit. It will crinkle but the kids and you will get used to it and it works.

By mom up late (Guest Post)

I was looking for tips since my baby has a feeding tube that leaked milk into his bed. He is sick baby and is on a continuous feed for 24/7. Shame on everyone for scolding when you don't know the situation.

Anonymous

Thats why i am here..feeding tubes are messy n acid reflux rends to cause lots of puking..hubby said he cleaned up but didnt flip the mattress!

I agree. I was dumbfounded at all the scolding and not solutions.

I removed the comments that were scolding without providing any answers.

Good luck! If you find a good solution, please share it here.

By Alison S. (Guest Post)

I also agree never let child sleep with milk but I have a four month old with formula. I had a small spill on my pillow top mattress now it smells like yeast. I cant figure a way to clean it anyone? Help please it's a new bed.

By Amy (Guest Post)

When I breastfeed my baby in the middle of the night she sometimes spits up or it leaks out of her mouth. Milk stains happen.

I basically tried everything everyone else suggested for the same problem but since mattress protectors stop absorbing after a few washes I tape doggies pads where I usually have a problem, which is where my son sleeps. I used general purpose masking tape (the beige one), roll the tape to tape the pads from underneath.This has saved me SO many times from milk or pee leaking into the mattress.and surprisingly after taping it down real good around the edges you cant fell it under your sheets or even hear the plastic

I also used a dry/wet vehicle vac to suck up the water after I had added the baking powder or you can even use the pet powders which smell good and at used specifically for soaking up liquids