Pet PagesPets

Mishka (Cat)

Well, I'll start off by saying this isn't exactly my cat. She's a stray, but I've come to love her so much that I treat her as if she was my own. I have no clue what her name is, so I've named her Mishka. Mishka in Indian meaning "Gift of Love."

I first met Mishka back about two years ago, when I was walking home one day. She ran right up to me meowing like crazy, and rubbing all over my legs. After that, it was as if she remembered me. When I was in high school, she would wait at my bus stop. When I got off, she would follow me home. Now, when I get home from work she's always waiting close by and runs up my driveway as soon as I get out of my car.

Mishka loves to get her belly rubbed. Her favorite thing I've noticed is to try and chase all of the squirrels and birds. She even caught a bird once and brought it to me when I was leaving one morning! Mishka is very fast and agile. She also loves playing with my neighbor's dog, they surprisingly get along very well!

I've asked all of my neighbors and nobody has claimed Mishka as their own. Unfortunately, I can not keep her in my home for my mother is allergic to cats. I love her too much to call Animal Control and find her a real home. So I make sure to give her food and water outside so she's able to stay healthy, and spend plenty of time playing and petting her. Mishka is a mystery but I love her to death!

By Rachel from Annapolis, MD

How wonderful that you found each other - Mishka is a beautiful cat. Bless you for feeding and taking care of her. She really does look like she has an air of mystery about her - give her a big hug from me!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Can you catch her well enough to put a collar on her so she won't be taken away? Can you get her into a vet and get her microchipped so a collar being on her or staying on her won't matter? Can you get her to the vet for shots and getting her fixed? She looks like a precious soul and she obviously is. We had a stray show up and stay. She remains semi-feral but we were able to get all of those things done. A real challenge.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Mishka is a beauty. Do get her a collar (with a safety release as she is an outside cat) and a license, if your county licenses cats. If she is ever lost she will come back to you. Be sure to have her spayed (there are low cost clinics that do this) and micro-chipped. If she has not come into heat she may be spayed already. Also there are good outside cat beds that keep them warm in the winter. They are made for outside cats. Some have a heating pad made safe just for cats. I hope you have many years with your beautiful girl.

Reply Like this photo? Yes