AdviceRabbits

Rabbit Litter Pans

What is best for rabbit litter pans? I use paper towels to soak up the pee that comes through although I clean them every morning. Then on top of that I put some newspaper and then shredded newspaper and hay on the end. I have four rabbits, 2 pair of a buck and a doe.

Donna from Alabama

Rabbits are fairly easy to litter train. You just see where they pee/poop then put a regular cat box (uncovered box) with litter in it in that spot and they should just go in the box. I did this with my rabbit and never had a problem.

I don't know if its available in your area, but I used to love Feline Pine cat litter for my rabbit. It's made for cats but its safe for rabbits, smells nice and you can easily tell when it needs to be changed.

I had gone to the Dollar Tree and got my girls each a small shallow baking pan for their bunnies. These were the perfect size for their cages, they aren't real deep and they use them.

My daughter has a lop rabbit, her cage has a wire bottom with a pullout tray underneath. It's metal, we put newspaper to line the bottom as it seems to soak up the urine and the smell that comes with it. Then we put shavings over the paper. It's cheap to buy shavings if you buy a "bale" of them. We buy ours at Walmart. A big bale is around $10 its compressed really tight and it does for months and months. We buy the cedar mixed shavings as our bunny doesn't stand in them, but I have heard that if they do, you need to use pine as cedar bothers them. We tried to litter train but it didn't work for us.