TablesFurniture

Water Rings on Unfinished Table

I have two water rings (from this morning) on my coffee table and they're many shades lighter than the color of the wood. The table has no varnish to begin with and is old. When I took a cloth to get rid of the water on the surface some color actually came off. Surprisingly the table is an expensive one and to add to my desperation isn't mine.

So I'm wondering if the towel/iron or hair dryer method will work as well as it does with tables that actually have a protective coat of varnish? Also, some sites say to use steam and some say definitely no steam, so I'm totally confused.

By mateja from NY

Anonymous

If no one comes up with the answer to your question, instead of experimenting on your own and possibly causing more damage to the table, you might want to confess to the owner and let him/her determine how they want to deal with the situation.

Boy oh boy, I wouldn't touch that table for anything! I'd just tell the owner and let the chips fall where they will. You could totally ruin it.

If it's unfinished THEY might be able to clean it really well with something like Murphy's Oil Soap and get it all the same color but I sure wouldn't do it if I were you.

Thank you for the responses. I ended up calling the furniture store where the table was bought and they gave me the number of the guy that takes care and fixes all their stuff so he came I over and looked it. I'm expecting him today. It'll cost me, but definitely not as much as a new table would. I'm relieved.
Thank you