Dog Bed Patterns

Does anyone have a pattern for a simple and fast doggie bed?

Thanks,
Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

I make dog beds out of comforters that I buy and then cut in to 4 pieces. I can buy a queen size comforter at a thrift or discount store for $15. All 4 beds fit in the washing machine so I wash them once a week.

I took two old pillows, loosely stitched them together, and as above an old comforter folded over the pillows, I used velco on the bottom to keep the comforter on as our little lady likes to find "just the right spot". Easy to come apart to wash the comforter & air dry in the dryer/hang on the line pillows.

I found that the one of our dogs who chooses not to sleep on the bed likes an old towel on the floor next to the bed. I alternate two, one in the wash and the other for Buttons to sleep on.

Not a bed, but she really likes it.

Laine

We use baby blankets for our 5 chi's. They're easy to keep washed up. It would be really easy to take 2 quilted baby blankets (baby comforters), sew them together, and stuff, like a big pillow. Depending on the size of your dog. We like finding baby blankets at yardsales. Cheap, cute, comfortable bed.

I also use the comforters cut into pieces, folded and stitched. Very easy to maintain. But the fastest and easiest dog bed is an old pillow case that you stuff with a blanket or an old pillow. Sew in the stuffing, or put velcro on the ends to remove the pillow when needed. Just stuff and stitch.

I used old jeans to make Biggie's bed. I cut the legs off the jeans & sewed them together after squaring everything. I used a hvy duty zipper I had & took 2 old seat cushions from a sofa that I was getting rid of. It took me all of 2 hours maybe. That has been the best dog bed I have. He loves it & is beside himself when I wash it. For Biggie being a big dog it has worked out great.

If you go to www.simplicity.com you can order design 3960 which is for no-sew dog beds. HTH!

I actually made a larger dog bed for my 70 pound shepherd/greyhound mix. I just bought 2 yards of fabric, folded it in half, sewed and stuffed it up with a lot of poly-fill. It works great, and wasn't that expensive. I think I ended up using like three or four bags of poly fill, so that was the expensive part. The dogs like that it is not overstuffed, so they can push the stuffing around and it molds to them a bit. I also just toss it in the washing machine when it needs a cleaning. Fills up the washing machine, but its a good size for the dogs.

For small to medium dogs, take an old sweatshirt, pull the sleeves to the inside of the sweatshirt, then pull sweatshirt over cheap bed pillow. It's all washable and no sewing. Takes a whole 2 minutes to make.