Saving Money on Houseplants

Category House Plants
You don't have to spend a lot of money to have lovely houseplants. This is a page about saving money on houseplants.

Tips and advice for saving money on houseplants shared by the ThriftyFun community.

Grow And Give Cuttings

Cuttings are an easy way to save money. I plant the clipped pieces directly in soil, then water really frequently every 3-4 days for about 3 weeks. The plants are kept in a south window in my classroom, which adds atmosphere, plus ideal growing light.

People love to receive a flourishing plant as a gift. I've even given cuttings of bamboo to those who don't have classrooms with a natural light source.

By Crys Bauermeister

Save "Distressed" Plants From Stores

My favorite way to save on houseplants is to develop friendships with people who have plants I want! :-) Actually, I use clippings from my own plants and do sometimes get clippings from friends. I also buy "distressed" plants at stores where people don't seem to know how to care for them. I bought 3 African Violets this spring that were almost gone. I've fed, watered, and cared for them and they are blooming their little hearts out right now! I had no idea what colors they were but they're all a deep purple, my favorite!

By Judi

Swap Your Houseplant Seeds

I live in Florida, down on the southwest gulf coast, so my houseplants live outside almost year 'round. My spider plant, Christmas cactus, Moses in the cradle, pregnant onion (also known as sea onion) have all made seeds. I plant the seeds in newspaper pots inserted into plastic bags for humidity. When the seeds have sprouted and are a good size, I give the plant away. I have also shared and swapped seeds.

By Louise

Yard Sales

I see a lot of houseplants at yard sales, especially if it is a moving or estate sale. This is also a good resource for pots and other houseplant supplies.

By Jess

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Since we live in a condo, our gardening is limited to potted plants. When I get a new plant, I always make at least 2, sometimes 3, pots out of it. I divide them and re-pot them with new soil. I always save old pots in my storage closet, so I don't have to spend money on new pots each time.

I love red begonias and I bought one a few weeks back which I was able to divide into 3 plants. All are flourishing, and you can't tell which pot had the original in it. This saves money and also keeps plants from becoming root bound so quickly.

By Marty Dick from Houston, TX

A few years ago while shopping in the grocery store, I passed by the florist area, and there was a bedraggled rose in a two inch pot for fifty-nine cents. I am no gardener, but I bought it anyway.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsFebruary 20, 2013
😷
🌻
📓
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf46509330.tip.html