CatsPets

Make Your Own Cat Box Odor Neutralizer

After reading the backs of several brands of cat box odor neutralizer, I've found they have basically the same 2 active ingredients BORAX and BAKING SODA. Here's an easy recipe that works to decrease cat box odor: Mix equal amounts of (20 mule team) BORAX and BAKING SODA together. Next time you clean out your cat box, sprinkle 1 - 2 cups in the bottom of the litter box then add your favorite brand of litter on top. These safe and simple ingredients will greatly decrease the odor from your cat box.

By CDR

But I have a question. Is the borax harmful to the kitties? I've used baking soda in the past and it works short term, but with a lot of cats I need something that lasts a bit longer. Thanks

I used baking soda a few years ago to neutralize the odor of my litterbox. I kept noticing that my cat looked like she was foaming at the mouth. I finally read an article about baking soda in litterboxes causes this. The cats lick themselves clean and naturally the baking soda is in their paws. I quit using it, and her foamy little mouth cleared right up.

You should note that Borax is a poison. It is listed in the MSDS. The MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) is a book all places that handles hazardous materials must keep on hand. The MSDS book reads "Harmful if swallowed or inhaled." It can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, respiratory tract, and central nervous system. It can affect the GI tract, liver, and kidneys. Borac Acid is considered a hazardous material and contains traces of arsenic.

I found this out because I had heard that using Borax on the carpet would get rid of fleas. My two cats became lethargic and stopped eating. When I found out what I was doing I took my cats to a friend's house, and I wore a mask to try and get up as much of that Borax as I could. I don't know how much damage I caused my little kitties but one died prematurely. I was surprised to see this advice. Please think twice before using Borax around children or pets.

Borax is related to boric acid but is not the same thing and is much less toxic. Of course, that doesn't mean it's good for cats to ingest (or humans either). Borax is pretty harmless if used properly, though there is a lot of fear-mongering on the Internet. If it's spread on the carpet and not vacuumed up thoroughly enough, it could certainly mean cats are ingesting more than they should.

Chemical manufacturers are required to supply an MSDS with each product sold that's specific to that product. There is not a single MSDS book.