Spray Scraps With Oil To Stop Fruit Flies

I have begun to buy a lot of produce, since I started juicing a month ago. I began to notice more and more of those little fruit flies hanging around. You know the ones I'm talking about - they hover all around you, but are impossible to get rid of. I didn't want to use a pesticide in the kitchen, especially around the dishes and appliances. So, I put my thinking cap on and this is what I came up with:

First, if you don't already have one, buy a spray bottle at the local dollar store. Fill it with any kind of edible oil (olive, canola, or vegetable). After you are done juicing or cooking, put any scraps of food that are left in a store shopping bag, then leave the kitchen for a few minutes. Try to put any other food away before you leave, so the fruit flies will go to the bag and not the other food item. Put the spray bottle where you can get it easily without disturbing the bag of scraps.

After a few minutes have gone by, sneak into the kitchen, grab your bottle of oil and start spraying the scrap bag for all your worth. The heavy oil will prevent the little buggers from flying away and the edible oil wont hurt anything in your kitchen. Then just tie up the bag and toss in garbage. You may have to do this several times to get them all but, eventually, you will be fruit fly free. (Say that 3 times fast!)

By Sewingal from Tarpon Springs, FL