Uses for Bread Heels and Crusts

Category Bread
Besides feeding the birds, there are great ways to make use of the whole loaf of bread. This page is about uses for bread heels.

I have three males in the house, so sandwiches are a staple. I always ended up with several almost empty bags of bread with only the end crusts left in them. They will not use them for sandwiches. I got smart and decided to stop wasting them. Now I save them in a Ziploc baggie for about a week to get 6 pieces or so. I then toast them and then use my mini food processor to make them into bread crumbs which

I can flavor them any way I want. I mix the breadcrumbs with a little butter toast them in a pan, then remove from heat add a few sprinkles of Parmesan cheese and top broiled tomatoes, or cooked cauliflower. I can also season the breadcrumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano to coat boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the seasoned breadcrumbs and bake.

This is a great way to not waste, save money by not buying breadcrumbs, and be healthier because my fresh whole grain bread crumbs have more fiber than store bought, and no preservatives!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

We use the ends of bread (heels/left over pieces) for bread pudding. We put the 'leftovers' back into a bread bag and refreeze them. After thawing them for the second time they are already a little 'dry' and perfect for bread pudding.

By Carrie

In the frozen state, they crumble up very well for bread crumbs. They freeze for a long time if wrapped well.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadApril 3, 2013
😷
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf478792.tip.html